Jul. 2nd, 2011



This hat I made to be worn sort of crashlanding on top of my Wulsthaube and to sport a lot of feathers. It was my first adventure into german 16th century hats other than the Wulsthaube.

 

This is how I made it:

First I made a mockup in a stiff cotton fabric similar to those Indian beadspreads. The first thing to get right was the top part: How big a square would I need. Then it was the hole for the head. After a few trial and errors I came up with a pattern that was likely to give me the look I wanted. This is what I came up with:

 

Instructions:

  • First cut two squares 33by 33 cm (add seam allowance) in two different colors. Mine are black and burgundy.
  • The black square will be the outer layer and in this I cut a hole to fit my head (17 cm diameter). Then I proceeded to make the slashing. This is what the black piece looked like after I hemmed the slashes:

  • Then put your two squares together, right sides facing and sew them together all the way round. Turn and press.
  • Fold each corner towards the middle so that they all meet and stitch them down.
  • The top’s done, now onto the brim.
  • With a little experimentation I made squares 16 by 8 cm. One black and one burgundy for each of the “flaps” for the brim. I needed 11 to go around the hole.
  • Sew two squares together, one of each color, along the long sides. Turn and press. When all are done pin them to the edge of the hole and secure them by sewing
  • Cut a long strip to cover the edge of the hole. Mine was ca 5 cm by 63 cm. line the edge of the hole with this. Add ties if needed and you’re done!



And of course lots of feathers:




 

I love flea markets, yard sales, antique and kurio shops. Every summer I spend a lot of days driving around the island with my mother and checking out whats on offer. Close to our village there's one that I've found lots of good stuff at during the past years. Today I found something I've been wishing for, considering trying to make or get someone to make for me: A wooden head for hat or wig making. I've seen ones to buy but they tend to cost more than I'd want to spend. Now I found one:


I paid 100 SEK for it! (I've seen them on the web for $150) I just need to glue the top back on since the former owner has sawn it off and hollowed it out a bit. I also want to remove the sad face....

The greatest thing is the head is actually in mu size!!! I've got a good size head and rarely can by hats because they're always to small. This block head is a size 60 - me happy!!

Profile

tecedekaxtone

July 2013

S M T W T F S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28 293031   

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Jul. 25th, 2017 12:36 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios